SourcePro Search has a fantastic opportunity for an experienced Business Development Manager with our large global law firm client.
This role offers a competitive base and excellent growth potential in a top ranked law firm.
This is a hybrid (3 days remote) role that can be based from multiple offices.
The Business Development Manager (BDM) leads business development and profile-raising initiatives for all areas within the Litigation practice, including Commercial, Employment, IP, Patent, Securities, as well as the Antitrust, Government Contracts, and International Trade in the Regulatory practice.
The BDM will:
This position can be based in any of our offices.
- Create and lead internal business analysis, market research and competitive intelligence to identify promising opportunities for short-term and longer-term growth across the Litigation practice and Regulatory practices;
- Work with the practice leadership and lawyers to develop, coordinate and implement business plans, sales materials and experience management efforts;
- Collaborate with Litigation and Regulatory partners and business development colleagues to identify cross-selling opportunities and pursue new engagements;
- Be primarily responsible for high-profile RFPs and profile-raising efforts; Recommend overall improvements to the firm’s business development functions.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Practice group support. Work with practice group leaders to assess business development ("BD") needs related to overall strategic plan implementation. Develop practice plans. Attend key practice group meetings. Proactively identify opportunities for cross marketing and execute.
- Individual partner support. Meet with partners in key practices to develop and implement business plans. Monitor and support BD activities of those partners, including identifying targets, developing pursuit strategies and monitoring and supporting pursuit efforts.
- Sales material messaging. Work with other BD team members to ensure that sales materials, pitches and proposals highlight the attributes of the firm and its key practices.
- Idea generation. Initiate and implement ideas to improve the department’s BD services and the firm’s business development efforts.
- Events management and content development. Develop strategies and content for (and drive forward) targeted events, sponsorship involvement, speaking engagements and thought leadership.
- Lateral integration. Collaborate with Recruiting and Practice Development teams to create and implement lateral integration plans and ensure successful onboarding of lateral partners, including integration of their clients into the firm.
- Metrics and reporting. Develop and maintain meaningful metrics that focus BD behavior, improve the efficiency of the firm’s business development efforts and demonstrate the value of the firm’s BD program.
- Staff management and mentoring. Work with the BD team members to improve the efficiency of the department’s BD services, support professional development of BD team and promote a positive work environment.
Reporting to the Director of Business Development – Litigation, IP & Regulatory.
- Exemplary communication skills, both verbal and written, with a keen ability to capture, distill, and accurately describe the firm’s services, as well as write about complex legal and technical topics
- A desire to continually learn and grow, both with best practices in law firm business development and with the firm’s legal practices, business practices and the industries and technologies of our clients
- Affinity for technology, both externally for what is germane to our clients, as well as internally to support innovative marketing and BD efforts
- Strong problem-solving skills including the ability to anticipate problems as well as suggest and execute on solutions
- Ability to prioritize ongoing tasks and significant projects for yourself and team members, as well as manage expectations of attorneys in relation to these projects
- Strong customer service ethic and outstanding interpersonal skills, capable of working seamlessly with high level partners, marketing professional staff and colleagues in other departments
- Highly organized, efficient and extremely detailed oriented, with superior proofreading and fact checking skills
- Advanced search, data collection and reporting skills, including use of CRM tools and proprietary research databases
- Advanced Excel skill and proficiency in remaining MS Office suite (Word, Outlook, PowerPoint, SharePoint)
- Capable of staying productive and accurate under pressure with tight deadlines (a sense of humor helps, too)
- Self-motivated, takes initiative and can work independently
- The qualified candidate will have 7+ years of professional services BD experience.
- Strong knowledge of Litigation and applicable BD strategies and tactics.
- Bachelor's degree required; M.B.A or J.D. preferred.